Gojju is a vegetarian delicacy from Karnataka. The vegetables / fruits are cooked in tamarind juice, jaggery and chilies. It is prepared usually with bitter gourd, ladys finger, mango, cucumber, tomato, onion & pineapple. Gojju is usually eaten with thove (toor dal). It's served with chapatis or rice.
4 medium tomatoes
1 big onion, chopped finely
1/2 tsp. haldi
1-2 tsp. tamarind juice
1 tbsp. coriander
2 tbsp. oil
1/2 tsp Bengal gram and black gram
1/2 tsp. mustard seeds
1-1/2 tsp Rasam powder
2-3 green chilies
Salt to taste
1. Add oil into a pan and put the mustard seeds.
2. When they begin to split/crack, add chilies, Bengal gram and black gram.
3. When the grams turn brown, add turmeric and onions. Fry for a minute.
4. Wait till the onion pieces become transparent.
5. Add tomatoes and cook until they become tender.
6. Once they are tender, mash them, so that there are no big pieces of the tomato left.
7. Now add Rasam powder, tamarind extract/juice, salt and little water.
8. Bring it to boil.
9. Cook on low flame for 10-15 minutes until the mixture thickens.
10.Garnish with coriander leaves.
I'm sending this post to Vegan Ventures.