This gojju is a traditional curry that tastes sweet (jaggery), sour (tamarind) & spicy (masala).
1 Kg bendekai, washed, dried & cut into 1.5" pieces
2 tbsp concentrated tamarind juice
2 tbsp jaggery
2 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
2 tsp bengal gram/kadle bele
2 tsp black gram/udhina bele
2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp sesame
1 tsp coriander seeds/dhania
1/2 cup grated coconut
5 dry red chillies
1 tsp cumin seeds
1" Cinnamon stick
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds/methi
1/2 tsp asafoetida
Salt to taste
Masala preparation: -
1. Heat the oil in a pan & add mustard seeds.
2. When the seeds begin to splatter, add bengal gram, black gram, coriander seeds, methi seeds, turmeric, asafoetida & red chillies & fry till for a minute or two.
3. Add sesame seeds and fry till the mixture turns brown.
4. Let the mixture cool down.
5. Grind in the mixie with coconut & little water to a fine paste. The paste should have a chutney consistency.
Gojju preparation: -
1. Heat the oil in a pan & add mustard seeds. When the seeds begin to splatter, add bengal gram, black gram & turmeric.
2. The mixture turns brown, add bendekai pieces & fry for 8-10 minutes.
3. Add salt, tamarind juice/extract, jaggery & mix well.
4. Close the pan with a lid.
5. After 5 minutes add the ground paste along with little water.
6. Bring it to boil. On a low flame cook for 10-15 minutes until the gojju thickens.
It can be served with toordal (thove) & rice, chapatis,or dosas.