Bisi bele bath is a rice-based dish unique to the state of Karnataka, India. Bisi-bele-bath translates to hot-lentil-rice item in the Kannada language.It is also known as Bisi bele huliyanna. The traditional preparation of this dish is quite elaborate and involves the use of spicy masala, toor dal & vegetables. Spices like nutmeg & asafoetida, curry leaves & tamarind pulp used in its preparation contribute to the unique flavour & taste of this dish. It is served hot & sometimes eaten along with salad, papad or potato chips. This dish is commonly found in restaurants that serve the Udupi cuisine. The masala to be used for Bisi bele bath is now available off the shelf in grocery stores of India. Ready-to-eat satchets of Bisi bele bath can also be found. The name Bisi bele bath is a Kannada phrase, which literally means "Hot Lentil Rice", as in Kannada, Bisi means hot, bele means Lentils and bath means a dish made up of rice.
It can be made also with puffed rice (poha or avalakki).
1 cup Rice
2 cups togari bele (toor dal)
2 cups vegetables (Beans, potato, peas, carrot, double beans)
2 tbsp ground nuts
1 tsp kadle bele (Chana dal)
1 tsp of udhina bele
1 tsp of udhina bele
For Masala: -
1 tbsp kadle bele
1 tbsp udhina bele
3 tbsp dhania
1 tsp menthya (Methi)
3-4 pepper corns
10 red chillies (Guntur menasinakayee)
1" Cinnamon stick
2 tsp tamarind paste
2-3 tbsp of coconut
Cashew nuts for garnishing
Masala preparation: -
1. Heat oil in a pan & add all the masala ingredients except coconut & tamarind.
2. Fry till a nice aroma is got.
3. Grind with coconut & tamarind & keep it aside.
Rice preparation: -
1. Add ghee/butter in a pressure cooker & add mustard. When it begins to pop, add Kadle bele, Udhina bele, ground nuts & turmeric.
2. Add vegetables & enough salt. Fry for few minutes.
3. Add Dal & rice to the vegetables & pressure cook till 3 whistles.
4. Let it cool completely. If the bath has become too dry like Pulav, add little water & cook again with out the lid. Garnish with cashew nuts.
Usually cooking of Dal, rice & vegetables is done separately. As it was only for two of us, I cooked them together.