It was a long time since I made anything with Palak other than the usual sambar. So made fresh Paneer & so Palak Paneer
1 cup Palak
2 medium sized tomatoes / one small tin of tomato paste
1 big onion, finely chopped
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp chili powder
2 pepper balls
1-2 cloves depending on the taste
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
1 tsp jeera
2 tsp curds
Cashew nuts, for garnishing. Roasted in little butter
Pre-preparation of the paneer: -
1. In a heated pan, add 1 tsp of ghee. Saute the paneer cubes till they turn golden brown.
2. Remove it into a cup & pour a cup of hot water on to the fried paneer cubes.
3. Let them remain in hot water for 10-15 minutes, then drain the water & keep aside. This makes the paneer really soft & removes excess ghee sticking to its surface.
Preparation of the Gravy: -
1. In a pan, heat oil & add jeera, cloves, pepper, Cinnamon & turmeric. (medium flame)
2. Add onions & fry until they sweat.
3. Add ginger-garlic paste & saute for a minute.
4. Add palak & fry for 3-5 minutes.
5. Add chili powder, garam masala & salt.
6. Mix well & then add tomatoes along with curds.
7. Cook till the tomatoes melt/get cooked well in the pan.
8. Let the mixture in the pan cool down completely.
9. Grind the mixture to a thick fine paste.
10. Put the mixture back into the pan & cook on medium flame.
11. Add little water.
12. Cook for 5 minutes. Add Paneer cubes & cook for 2 more minutes.
13. Remove from fire & garnish with roasted cashew nuts.