Today morning I wanted to try a new chutney to go with our dosas. In the refrigerator, we'd lot of tomatoes. As we are flying to India next week, thought of finishing them before they start to rot. I checked for quite a few recipes & to my bad luck most of them involved dicing the tomatoes. I din't have to such time. So tried my own recipe, by mixing the north & south Indian methods of making the same.
2 just ripe tomatoes
4-5 green chillies
1 red chilly
1 tsp red chilly powder
1 tsp mustard
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp turmeric
A pinch of asafoetida
1 tsp sesame seeds
1 tsp udhina bele (black gram dal)
1 tbsp roasted Bengal gram
1/2 grated dry coconut
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp cornflour
2-3 strands coriander leaves
1. Slice the tomatoes.
2. In a pan put 2 tsp of oil & heat.
3. Add asafoetida when the oil becomes hot.
4. Then add cumin seeds, mustard, black gram dal, red chilly, finely chopped green chillies, sesame seeds & turmeric. Fry well till the black gram dal becomes slightly brown.
5. Add the tomatoes, cornflour, sugar & salt. Keep stirring.
6. Cook on medium flame till all the moisture from the mixture evaporates.
7. Let the mixture cool down completely.
8. In a mixer, add dry coconut powder, coriander leaves & roasted Bengal gram along with the cooled mixture.
9. Grind the mixture & add water if necessary.