Amma used to make Saagu usually with puris. But I used to love eating Saagu with Rasam rice or Curd rice. This was one of my favorite side dish apart from palyas.
This is my entry for Easy Craft's Side dish event.
Vegetables of your choice [Potatoes, cabbage, drumstick, carrots, sweet potatoes, peas, beans, chayotes (seme bhadhanekayee)]
1 small onion, diced
1 medium tomato, finely chopped
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp jeera
2 tsp dhania seeds
1/2 cup grated coconut
2 tsp poppy seeds
2 tbsp roasted Bengal gram
5-6 green chilies
a pinch of asafoetida
a stand of curry leaves
coriander leaves for garnishing
1. In a grinder add the masala ingredients (jeera, dhania seeds, poppy seeds, cloves, cinnamon, roasted Bengal gram, green chilies, coconut) & make a smooth paste.
2. Pressure cook the vegetables with little salt.
3. In a pan, add 2 tsps of oil & prepare the seasoning by adding asafoetida, mustard seeds & curry leaves.
4. Add onions & saute for a minute till they start sweating.
5. Add the pressure cooked veggies to the onions & allow it to boil.
6. Now, add the ground masala paste & cook on low flame.
7. Mix well & after a minute or two, remove from flame & garnish with coriander leaves.
8. Serve hot with puris or idlis or with rice.