Papdi chaat was on my to do list since a long time. I'd a relaxing afternoon today to give it a try. Papdi chaat is easy to make if one has green / coriander & tamarind chutneys readily available. I made the papdis fresh at home.
Another entry to Pallavi's Sunday Snacks - Chaats event.
For the Papdis: -
1/2 cup Maida
4 tbsp Rava
1 tsp ajwain (optional)
For the Toppings: - You can add different varieties of toppings. The list below is what I like the most at the moment. :)
1 medium sized potato, chopped
1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
1 tsp jeera powder
1 tsp chaat masala
1 tsp red chili powder
1/4 cup curds
1/4 cup kabuli channa, boiled
1. In a mixing bowl, combine maida, rava, oil, salt with enough water to get a uniform dough.
2. Wrap the dough in a damp cloth & let it sit for 15-20 minutes.
3. Heat oil in a frying pan on medium heat.
4. Divide the dough into 2 equal parts & roll them into big chapatis. With the help of a roller dough docker or a fork make small holes on top of these chapatis. This is done to prevent puffing of papdis like puris while they are being fried.
5. Cut small circles out of them with a cutter.
6. Wrap the small papdis in a damp cloth until they are going into hot oil.
7. Deep fry them in batches.
To serve: -
1. Place the papdis in a serving plate.
2. Top each of them with a potato piece, few onion pieces, chickpeas mixed with green & tamarind chutneys, chaat masala, little salt, red chili powder, jeera powder, curds & in the end with Sev.
3. Sprinkle coriander leaves as well.