May 8, 2009

Khara buns


One of my friends has been eagerly waiting for this recipe since April 25th. It was her birthday & I'd baked Khara buns along with Palya buns. I forgot to blog the recipe for Khara buns. Sorry for the delay. I got the recipe from LG's blog. I used the same ingredients that were used for making the Palya buns, without the stuffing.

Ingredients: -
2 cups maida
2 tbsp butter
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp dry yeast (active yeast can be use to fasten the process. I dint have it)
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp oil
2 tsp milk

For the flavor: -
1 tsp Fennel (Saunf)
1 tsp jeera powder
2- 3 green chillies
2-3 pudina leaves (I used dry mint leaves)
Salt

Method: -
I used a food processor to make the dough.
1. Warm a cup of water & mix yeast. Let it sit for 10 minutes or till the mixture becomes frothy (activates).
2. In the mean while, make a dry powder with the flavor ingredients in a mixie.
3. In the food processor, add oil first, then 1 ½ cups of maida, baking soda, butter, milk, sugar, salt, the dry flavor powder & the yeast mixture.
4. Run the food processor at high for a minute & check the dough. Add the other ½ cup of maida & adjust the dough. It should be little sticky.
5. Keep the dough covered in a warm place or in a sunny spot in a steel container for a minimum of 2 hours. The dough doubles in quantity.
6. Punch the dough down & knead well.
7. Pre-heat the oven for around 10 minutes at 180 Deg C. I used the fan setting for both pre-heating & baking rather than using the broil setting.
8. Knead the dough well & divide it into equal parts.
9. Give a good round shape to each part.
10. Before placing into the oven for baking, coat / brush each bun with milk using a pastry brush. More about Milk washing here.
11. Baking usually takes 20-30 minutes depending on the oven.
12. Serve hot or cold with tea or coffee.

8 comments:

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

Hey Ujju, what a coincidence I made Khara buns yday for my guests but hardly could take a pic... yours look very divine...

Unknown said...

wow.. looks really excellant.. nice click..

Lakshmi said...

slurrp! buns mast kantha ide photo nalli! ahaaa..nange eega mathe bake madona annistha ide. I may bake a cake for Akash he has been asking for it ever since I got a new food processor.

Valarmathi Sanjeev said...

Khara buns looks lovely and yummy. Will try it soon. Came out very perfect.

Sujatha said...

khara buns look perfect.. Love this snack..

Varsha Vipins said...

Hi Ujju..Those look so awesome..I used to gobble them up while I was in Pune..yum one..:)

Parita said...

Wow Khara buns look yummy...first time here..lovely blog :) will try these buns soon :)

Varsee said...

hi ,
i was looking for a recipie to make khara buns... nim link bandre aa photo nodi nange tumbe aase aithu!! im going to try rite now..thanks!