Both of us like any form of Gobi, let it be fried, roasted, baked, except raw! Hee hee :)
So here goes how I made Aloo gobi.
1 medium sized cauliflower
3 medium sized potatoes
1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
1 medium sized tomato
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
2 green chillies, slit vertically
2 pepper balls
1-2 cloves, depending upon the taste
1/4 tsp Cinnamon powder
1/4 tsp turmeric
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp dhania-methi powder
1/2 tsp jeera
coriander finely chopped
1. Separate the florets & immerse them in Luke warm water along with little turmeric. I used to do this in India as cauliflowers are not that clean. Helps in removing worms & soil.
2. In a pan, heat oil & add jeera & green chillies.
3. When the jeera cracks, add onions along with cloves, pepper, Cinnamon & turmeric.
4. When the onions sweat, add ginger-garlic paste & saute for a minute or so.
5. Add potatoes & the florets. Fry with enough oil for 2-3 minutes.
6. Add garam masala & dhania-methi powder along with salt.
7. Close the pan with a lid & let the vegetables cook for a while on medium flame.
8. After 10 minutes, check if the potatoes have become soft. Add the tomatoes.
9. Close the pan with the lid & again let the vegetables cook, until the water content in the tomatoes is gone. I din't add water any where, because frying the vegetables gives a different taste. Learnt it from AmAr.
10. Mix well & garnish with coriander.