Sep 30, 2007

Aloo Palak



Well, it turned out to be an "Aloo weeken" :) Had wonderful palak freezed & stored for few days now. So, decided to make Aloo palak.

Ingredients: -

Palak
3 medium sized potatoes
2 medium sized tomatoes / one small tin of tomato paste
1 big onion, finely chopped
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp chili powder
2 pepper balls
1-2 cloves depending on the taste
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
1 tsp jeera
1/2 tsp turmeric
2 tsp curds
Salt
Oil

Method: -

Cooking the potatoes: -
I follow either of the two methods below.
I Microwave: -
1. Poke potatoes with a knife/fork & make tiny holes on them. Sprinkle salt over it.
2. Microwave them for about 5 minutes.
3. Peel the potatoes later & cut them into the desired shape.

II Fry them & cook them along with palak.
Preparing the gravy: -
1. In a pan, heat oil & add jeera, cloves, pepper, Cinnamon & turmeric. (medium flame)
2. Add onions & fry until they sweat.
3. Add ginger-garlic paste & saute for a minute.
4. Add palak & fry for 3-5 minutes.
5. Add chili powder, garam masala & salt.
6. Mix well & then add tomatoes along with curds.
7. Cook till the tomatoes melt/get cooked well in the pan.
8. Let the mixture in the pan cool down completely.
9. Grind the mixture to a thick fine paste.
10. Put the mixture back into the pan & cook on medium flame.
11. Add the potato pieces & water. (Addition of water depends on how the potatoes are to be cooked. If they were microwaved, add little water else a little more)
12. Cook for 5 minutes & remove from fire.

6 comments:

FH said...

Looks thick and delicious!:))
Check Foodies hope tomorrow,will be posting the first round up!

Nikki said...

Hii Ujju....Aloo Palak looks very creamy...
Nikki
http://sliceofhappiness.blogspot.com/

Nikki said...

Hiya
I first thought of sending this along with my earlier comment. But I was not sure if u had comment moderation so changed my mind.
I need ur help/ advice. How do u add that music stuff to ur blog. More importantly where do u get those songs. I guess I have visited ur blog around 3 times and all of those time I heard beautiful collection which are so nice that I stick around ur blog for around 15 mts minimum. Can u share with me how u do it. I want to add some of them to my Sansa to hear it whenever I hit gym.
Cheers
Nikki

Roopa said...

looks delicious Ujju :) its long since i had aloo palak !

Swaruchy said...

Looks delicious Ujju...Looks like u guys enjoyed ur weekend to the core :-)

Kumudha said...

Aloo palak looks so delicious!

Visiting for the firs time, you hav esome great recipes with wonderful pictures!