When lota bread left at home, then is the time to make upittu or tikki. I made it for breakfast today. East to make unlike the traditional upittu.
5-6 slices of medium sized normal bread
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 potato, cut into small pieces
1-2 green chilies or according to taste
1/2 tsp mustard
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp Sambar powder or garam masala
Coriander to garnish
1. In a pan heat 3 tsp of oil & add mustard seeds.
2. When the seeds begin to crack, add onions.
3. Saute till the onions begin to sweat.
4. Add potatoes & mix well.
5. Add turmeric, Sambar powder & salt.
6. Mix well, so that each potato piece has the masala sticking to it. Peas & carrots can also be added.
7. Close the pan with a lid & let the vegetables cook for 3-4 minutes.
8. In the meanwhile, cut & remove the brown crust from each slice.
9. Make 3 vertical cuts & 3 horizontal cuts on each slice so as to get 9 pieces from each.
10. If the bread is little hard, sprinkle water & keep them aside.
11. Check the vegetables, by breaking a pieces of potato in the pan.
12. The add the break pieces & mix well so that the masala sticks to each pieces.
13. Garnish with coriander & preferably serve hot.