Expecting friends for dinner. First time baking a cake from the scratch. Thanks to the recipe sent by Kamalika it turned out to be really yummy! Haven't used the icing because I din't have the icing sugar.
115 g or 4 oz or apx 1/2 cup soft margarine/butter
170 g or 6 oz or apx 1 cup fine sugar (Caster sugar)
170 g or 6 oz or apx 1 cup Maida
4 tbsp milk
1 tbsp baking powder
2 large eggs
1 large lemon
Grated rind of Lemon (Use a zester to get the rind)
For Icing: -
3 rounded tbsp icing sugar
3 tbsp lemon juice
1. Pre-heat the oven with 180 Deg C placing the grill in the middle level.
2. Melt the margarine/butter & add it into the mixing machine.
3. Grease the baking tin with the left over melted butter.
4. Use a pastry brush to spread the melted butter evenly, making sure all inside surfaces are well covered.
5. Dust with flour, tap out excess. If shiny spots remain, touch up with more butter & flour.
6. Add maida, sugar, eggs, finely grated lemon rind & milk.
7. Mix well to a soft dropping consistency.
8. Spread it evenly in the baking tin & tap till it settles down evenly.
9. Bake for around 15 minutes.
10. With a knife cut across the cake making a cut of 1cm in depth. The cut can be done when the cake is rising.
11. Continue baking for around 25-30 minutes more.
12. After baking the cake, let it cool down completely.
13. Mix icing sugar & lemon juice & pour over cake.