I used to make only instant rava dosas as I thought make it from scratch at home will be too much of work. Then AmAr gave me the recipe below, with which Rava dosas can be made in 15-20 minutes :)
1 cup rava
3/4 cup rice flour
1/2 cup maida
2 green chillies
2 tsp jeera
1 medium sized onion
1. Take 4 equal pieces of aluminium foil & spread it around the stove. I made the dosas without using a ladle, with my fingers. So to avoid the batter creating a mess, I used the foil.
2. Cut the onion into half. Use one half of it to remove excess oil from the tava.
3. Finely chop the other half of the onion & also the green chillies.
4. Mix rava, rice flour, maida, green chillies, jeera & salt by using enough water to get a butter milk consistency of the batter.
5. Heat the tava & drop few finely chopped pieces of onions on it.
6. Then drop the batter using fingers on to the tava like making a mesh/net. Care to be taken as to not drop batter at one place so that the dosa becomes thicker on that part. It won't be cooked properly.
7. Put oil in the big holes that will be formed in the dosa.
8. The dosa comes out of the tava without any hassle after 3-5 minutes.
9. Turn it on the other side & wait for a minute. This dosa doesn't get blacked if its left on the tava for a long time. It becomes brown.
10. Fold the dosa into half or fold the outer part of the circle towards the center.
11. Serve the dosa when it is hot & crispy with pickles or chutney.
I'm sending this post to Vegan Ventures.