I searched online for quite sometime to get a good recipe to make mango chutney. Most of them use sugar & make it sweet. This is not how it used to be done in my house. So stuck to the traditional way of making it with raw green mangoes, little sour & less sweet :)
1 small raw green mango
2 red chillies or green chillies can also be used
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 cup grated coconut
fist full of roasted Bengal gram
1 tsp asafoetida
2 tsp jaggery
1. Peel the mango skin & grate it.
2. In a heated pan slightly roast the grated mango with red chillies without oil, to remove water from the mango, if present. Don't fry chillies if using green chillies.
3. In a mixie add grated coconut, coriander leaves, asafoetida, roasted Bengal gram, roasted grated mango, jaggery & salt, initially without adding water.
4. Add enough water to get the chutney consistency.
5. Garnish with roasted mustard seeds.