One of the favorite chutneys since my childhood. When amma used to make it at home, my starter, main course & dessert would be kadlekaayi chutney. Today we'd it with Rava dosa.
1/2 cup ground nuts
3-4 red chillies
1/4 cup grated coconut
2 tsp bengal gram dal (optional)
2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp concentrated tamarind paste
3 tsp oil
a pinch of asafoetida
1. Heat 2 tsp of oil over medium flame in a small pan & add asafoetida when it's hot.
2. Add ground nuts & fry till they turn slightly brown.
3. Then add red chillies & bengal gram dal. Fry for another minute.
4. Remove from fire & let the mixture cool down completely.
5. In a mixie, add the cooled mixture, tamarind paste, grated coconut & salt.
6. Run the mixie first at the lowest possible setting without adding water.
7. Then add water & get the chutney consistency. If desired add more water to make the chutney more watery.
8. For seasoning, add mustard seeds to heated oil. When they splatter, remove from fire & pour over the chutney.