Khichdi is a South Asian rice dish made from rice & lentils. It's commonly considered to be India's comfort food, and was the inspiration for the Anglo-Indian dish of kedgeree. Be it stomach upset or cold or flu, it's the best diet advised as it's light & easy to digest. It's usually served with papads, beguni (deep fried eggplants in a besan batter), ghee (clarified butter), achar (oil based pickle), and yogurt (Kadi).
1 cup rice
1/2 cup moong dal
3-4 cups water
1 tsp turmeric powder
2 tbsp ghee
2 tsp jeera
2 tsp pepper powder
2 big potatoes
1 cup curds
1 strand curry leaves
1 strand coriander leaves
1. Wash & clean rice & dal.
2. Pressure cook rice together with dal, turmeric powder & salt with 3-4 cups of water.
3. Cook on medium flame.
4. The khichdi should be mushy. Water should've completely evaporated.
5. Let the cooker cool down completely.
6. In a pan, add 1 tsp ghee & melt it.
7. Add jeera & fry a little.
8. Pour the tadka over the Khichdi & mix well.
9. To make spice up the curds, add tadka of curry leaves with hing.
10. Boil potatoes with little salt or microwave them.
11. Serve Khichdi hot with pickles, curds, potatoes & papads.