Its one of the popular Kashmiri dishes. Potatoes are cooked under pressure in the gravy. Hence the name. This is the first time I am trying to make Dum Aloo. Thanks for Neeru for the recipe.
5-6 small potatoes, skin peeled
1 tsp jeera
1" cinnamon stick
2 bay leaves
1 tsp Ginger powder
1 tsp Jeera powder
1 tsp Kashmiri chili powder
1 tsp Garam Masala
1 tsp Dhania powder
3-4 heaps of Fennel (saunf) powder
1. Pressure cook potatoes with 1 tsp salt & little turmeric. Potatoes should not be cut/chopped.
2. Once pressure cooked & cooled, poke the potatoes with the help of a fork all around. This is done so that the masala Gravy gets deep into the potatoes.
3. Deep fry the potatoes on medium flame till they turn brown. This should take around 15-20 minutes.
4. Remove from oil when done & sprinkle little water on all potatoes. Let them cool down.
5. In a pan, add little oil & put hing, fry cloves, cinnamon, jeera & bay leaves.
6. In a mixing bowl, add Kashmiri chili powder, ginger powder, garam masala, dhania powder & fennel powder.
7. Mix all the masala ingredients & add water. Mix well.
8. In a pan, add 2 tbsp of oil along with potatoes & pour the masala mixture.
9. Close the pan with a lid & cook on medium flame till oil separates from the gravy.