Oct 5, 2008

Sabakki payasa - I



ಗುಳ್ಳೆ (Gulle/boil)payasa, that's what we call it in kannada. I love this payasa. This was my 2nd try to make Sabakki payasa. Earlier when I'd tried to make it the payasa had not turned out that well. My mother-in-law told me that sugar should never be added directly to Sabakki when it is hot. This will spoil the milk. That was the mistake I'd made the first time.

Ingredients:-
1 cup sabakki
1/2 cupSugar
1 cupMilk
1/2 tbsp cardamom powder
4-5 strands of Saffron
roasted cashew nuts & dry grapes, for garnishing

Method: -
1. Soak sabakki in water for about half an hour.
2. Then add the sabakki to a heavy bottomed pan & cook it in 2 cups of water until it becomes transparent.
3. Add milk & cardamom powder. Sabakki absorbs milk & the entire mixture will reduce in quantity.
4. After it thickens a little, remove from fire & let it cool down completely.
5. In a cup, add crush little sugar along with saffron stands. Add warm water & leave it for 2-3 minutes.
6. Add the remaining sugar along with the saffron solution to the payasa.
7. Garnish with roasted cashew nuts & dry grapes.

1 comment:

Srivalli said...

Thanks for the lovely entry!