Mosaru (in Kannada) or Thair (in Tamil) or Dahi (in hindi) vade is deep fried urad dal balls soaked in curds. To make the curd sauce spicy, red chilly powder along with cumin powder is used. It's a good appetizer.
1 cup Urad dal / black lentils, de husked
fist full of moong dal
2 -3 green chilies, finely chopped
2 cups thick Yogurt (I used 3 x 150g of 3.5% Yogurt)
2 tsp red chili powder
1 tsp cumin seeds powder
1 tsp black pepper powder
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp Sugar
Coriander, for garnishing
Oil for deep frying
1. Soak the lentils over night in luke warm water with little salt.
2. Beat Yogurt by adding half a cup of water, along with little salt, black pepper powder, sugar & red chili powder.
3. In a small pan prepare the seasoning by adding mustard seeds to oil. When they splatter, pour the seasoning over the beaten Yogurt & mix well.
4. Grind the over night soaked lentils to a smooth batter by adding very little water, salt, black pepper powder & green chilies.
5. Heat oil in a frying pan.
6. Drop in teaspoons full of batter & fry till the vada turns golden brown on both the sides. Deep fry in batches.
7. Remove from oil into a colander. Then drop the vadas in a bowl of water.
8. After about 4-5 minutes, remove the vadas from water & squeeze them gently to remove excess water.
9. Place them in a big flat serving bowl.
10.Pour the Yogurt sauce so that each vada gets soaked.
11. Decorate with tamarind & green chutney.
12. Place the serving bowl in the refrigerator & chill. Let them be soaked for about 2-3 hours.
13. Before serving garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves, curry leaves, sprinkle red chili powder, chat masala, black salt, boondhi & Sev.