I'd bought a small bag of Clementines during week to make Orange Rasam. I was actually looking for Blutorangen (Blood Oranges), which I was not able to find. Looks like they are sold only during Summer. They are bascially used for juice extraction & color.
1 cup toor dal
4 medium sized Oranges (You can zest the orange before extracting the juice & store the zest)
1 medium sized tomato, chopped
1 tsp jeera
1 tsp turmeric
a pinch of asafoetida
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp red chili powder
2 tsp Rasam powder
1 tsp tamarind paste
Curry leaves for seasoning
Coriander leaves for garnishing
1. Pressure cook toor dal with tomato pieces & little salt.
2. Extract the juice from the Oranges.
3. In a big heavy bottomed vessel, prepare the seasoning by adding 1-2 tsps of oil. Flame was on medium high.
4. Add asafoetida, jeera & mustard seeds.
5. When the mustard seeds splatter, add curry leaves.
6. Mash the cooked dal & tomato & transfer it to the vessel where the seasoning was prepared.
7. Mix well & add enough water to make the consistency of the Rasam little watery.
8. Allow it to boil.
9. Add tamarind paste, tumeric, orange juice & salt.
10. Stir well, add coriander leaves & remove from flame after you get the aroma of the Rasam. This should take around 5-10 minutes.
11. You can consume the Rasam directly or eat it with rice.