Palya (Kannada) or Koora (Telugu) or Sabji (Hindi) is a side dish usually made with different or one type of vegetable. As I'd made Onion chapatis decided to make this palya. Usually most of our palyas are dry & have the same seasoning.
2 cups cabbage, finely chopped
2-3 green chilies, finely chopped
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp bengal gram dal
1 tsp black gram dal
pinch of hing/asafoetida
2 tbsp coconut gratings (fresh or frozen)
Coriander for garnishing
We use palyada pudi (Sabji powder) to make the palya a little spicier. This is something like Rasam powder & Sambar powder.
Peas, potato (cubes) & carrot (cubes) can also be added to this palya.
1. In a kadai, add few tsps of oil & heat.
2. Add a pinch of hing, mustard seeds & both the dals.
3. When the dals turn a little brown, add the curry leaves & green chilies.
4. Add cabbage & fry a little.
5. Add turmeric & salt. Mix well.
6. Cover the kadai & let the cabbage cook for a minute of two.
7. Add enough water & cover the kadai.
8. Once the cabbage pieces are little soft, add palyada pudi & coconut gratings.
9. Garnish with coriander leaves & serve hot.