Over the weekend one of my friend's mother-in-law arrived from Bangalore. Amma had sent so many goodies with her. I was over joyed to receive them. Thanks amma for sending them.
One of the community members on Babycenter-India had mentioned about consuming chaas to prevent dehydration during pregnancy. As it was so cold here had stayed away from curds for a long time. But couldn't resist drinking buttermilk, especially when its sour. So after researching on the web for a week, thought of giving it a try. I bought buttermilk during the weekly grocery shopping to try masala buttermilk. The photo above was taken yesterday. Even now, when I see it, I feel like eating all those goodies (Karela chips, avarekaal mixture, nippatu & home made Lemon cake. Cups are from Turkey, AmAr's spring gift. This was my evening snack yesterday.
1 lt buttermilk, preferably sour
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp red chili powder
2 tsp cumin powder
2-3 green chilies, finely chopped
1" ginger, finely cut or grated
1. Whisk the buttermilk alone in a mixer or food processor.
2. Add green chilies, ginger, red chili powder, cumin powder & salt to the whisked buttermilk.
3. Whisk it again.
4. In a pan, heat 1 tsp oil & add asafoetida & mustard seeds.
5. When they splatter, add curry leaves to the pan.
6. Pour the seasoning over the buttermilk.
7. Garnish with coriander leaves.
8. One can refrigerate it before serving or serve at room temperature.